Retreat Site Guidelines
GUIDELINES FOR OPTIMALLY CO-INHABITING WITH RESIDENT PEOPLE AND CREATURES, NEIGHBORS, AND OUR PART OF THE EARTH MOTHER AT LA MESA
- We are a non-smoking venue, since the focus of our retreat center is to assist individuals with cleansing and healing. If you must smoke, we ask that you smoke only in your car or RV, and keep all butts, smoking apparatus, and plant material for smoking in your vehicle. We protect birds and animals from cigarette butts which can kill them. Please bring your own trash receptacle, as we do not want the smell in our trash receptacles, nor in our communal spaces and lodges.
- The exception to this rule is tobacco use for sacred purposes, with a facilitator leading the group in appropriate prayers and usage of this Sacred Grandfather.
- All recreational and addictive drug consumption, and alcohol consumption, is prohibited during our events.
- Please ask staff about possible hazards or restrictions before setting up your camp, or before hiking or walking on our Mesa. We have a lot of great spaces for you to enjoy. We want our humans to be happy, but also of great importance is keeping wild animal corridors open, and being aware of birthing/calving/young animals in spring. We also want to keep good relations with our neighbors. Make sure you're clear on the boundaries of our property before venturing out and about.
- We have typical "old farm" sensitive septic systems. Discard of all paper products in the provided trash cans, rather than the toilet. This keeps our system working for the many groups who enjoy our spaces.
- Scrape unused food from plates into compost buckets rather than putting into the sinks. This helps our system to keep functioning properly.
- Avoid bringing non-reusable water bottles made of plastic to our Lodge. Reduce plastic containers greatly in any shopping you may do prior to arriving. We do not have a recycling service at our farm. We have to haul it many miles to recycle it. And much of our plastic is not recycling in the USA at this time, but is building up to an alarming degree. Organizers and attendees will be responsible for taking "recyclables" away when exiting.
- We have a number of resident pets. Due to this and because we want to reduce stress on wildlife, please make arrangements for your pets to stay home.